Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Problem with Chris Brown and the Grammys





In a petition entitled “The Grammys: Apologize to Domestic Violence Survivors” creator Brett Simon asks The Recording Academy to apologize for rewarding Chris Brown with Grammy Awards and for letting him perform on their stage. Brown had beaten his girlfriend at the time, Rihanna, only three years ago after attending the Grammy Awards. Simon states, “Almost 50% of Boston teenagers believed Rihanna was to blame for her beating. During his performances at the Grammy Awards people (WOMEN) tweeted things like, ‘Not gonna lie, I’d let Chris Brown beat me,’” Rewarding Brown with awards and performances gives girls the idea that what he did was ok and that essentially an abuser can get away with abusing their domestic partner with little repercussions.
One of the signers, Reut Shilton, writes


“I'm signing because I can't walk to my car without the fear of assault and because my campus is rated number 1 in violence against women. The world needs to wake up. I almost puked when I saw girls saying ‘I would let Chris Brown beat me up’ but this is only the internalization of the violence they are told is okay to happen to them. From where do they get this message? The media and celebrated events like the Grammys that glorify woman beaters.”

The Grammys and other organizations need to stop giving these girls the wrong idea abusing your partner is a practice that is alright. People should not be afraid to walk to their car on campus, or that their boyfriend will beat them up. Not should the Grammys apologize, but the music industry should really shun him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment